Translate

About The Following Blog

The following blog has been written purely for those wanting a first hand knowledge of what it is like to step into the dojo for the first time as a complete beginner as a Martial Artist. Through practising a Martial Art, you will gain many things such as self-confidence, self-respect and life-long and good friends. I hope this helps you to see into an amazing world of which you have never seen before and that I have had the privilege of belonging to and knowing.
Although I have not put my name or any name to this blog, it does deserve a dedication- a dedication to those who help people to train, who teach, reassure and most important of all- those who never give up, no matter how many times they hit the ground or a mental brick wall, with themselves or others. But above all- those who are ready to begin their own journey, it begins with one step….

https://twitter.com/Aikilass

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Chapter 59: Does anyone else suffer from mat withdrawl or is it just me I wonder............

Right that's it, I've had enough, I have to go back!

In case you're wondering what this is all about, I have had a hip injury which has laid me up for the last three weeks and subsequently, this means no Aikido.

Due to the nature of the injury, recovery has been slow but is progressing. But I want to go back to the Dojo NOW, darn it! Like this week, not next week or the week after. Now.

I honestly thought that with having done Aikido now for more than 5 years I would be better at managing injury, in fact even maybe be forgiven for welcoming the rest perhaps?

Nope, I miss it. I really do. I miss the social interaction, the training, and the hard mats (actually I'm fibbing-I don't miss the hard mats one bit).

So I'm really suffering from Mat Withdrawl. Right now, all I want to do is to run across a matted area and perform several ukemi in rapid succession. Not sure what thats about really.

Its interesting that the longer I've been practising Aikido, the harder it is to break off. Its hard to explain to anyone who doesn't do a martial art, but its almost like the spirit of Aikido takes hold of you and moulds itself to you. When you're not training for a while, and you do go back its like welcoming an old friend inside your home.

I hope to be back very soon, and it will quickly feel like I've never been away.........

No comments: