Translate

About The Following Blog

The following blog has been written purely for those wanting a first hand knowledge of what it is like to step into the dojo for the first time as a complete beginner as a Martial Artist. Through practising a Martial Art, you will gain many things such as self-confidence, self-respect and life-long and good friends. I hope this helps you to see into an amazing world of which you have never seen before and that I have had the privilege of belonging to and knowing.
Although I have not put my name or any name to this blog, it does deserve a dedication- a dedication to those who help people to train, who teach, reassure and most important of all- those who never give up, no matter how many times they hit the ground or a mental brick wall, with themselves or others. But above all- those who are ready to begin their own journey, it begins with one step….

https://twitter.com/Aikilass

Sunday 23 August 2015

Chapter 77: It's funny how things come full circle...

I was talking to two old friends today, friends who I have trained with a long time. Although we haven't trained together for a while as we've moved away to different places for work we have stayed in contact.

One of these friends was my first Senpai. I have known her for 9 years now, and my other friend for 7 years. What brought our friendship together was our Aikido training. My other friend I trained with just after we got our 3rd Kyu, and we trained together for our 2nd Kyu.

The title of this blog post is things coming full circle. Nine years on, I am now a 1st Kyu the same level as my old Senpai was when I first started Aikido. Like her, I am the Assistant Coach at the club.

What started this blog post was that we now have two new adult beginners, and also someone who has just joined us after getting their 1st Kyu. It's strange how the same things I was told and helped with by my friend, I am now telling them and helping them too. And yes, this includes the pre-requisite haul to the feet when it looks like they might be about to give up on me. I have flashbacks about what helped me, and am trying to incorporate that into my coaching. Although I'm finding being a coach quite tiring at times, its also very rewarding. I like being able to give back to the art that I've gotten so much out of.

It still feels strange to be the second highest grade some weeks. Some weeks I'm the third highest grade. I'm slowly getting used to the idea of being a Senpai, but it does feel strange to be on the other side 9 years later. It seems strange to think how that nervous beginner has grown into a 1st Kyu and Assistant Coach. Full circle, see?


No comments: